Sargent Pepper (2017)


The idea of making a tribute to Sargent Pepper has been one I have had since I realized that its 50th birthday was coming back sometime in 2016. It was a backburner idea while I muddled with my Pokémon history tribute and my computer book. Then I realized that 2017 was also going to be my fifth year as a blogger (My first post on the Internet Sketchbook blog was posted in November 2012) and the Sargent Pepper cover provided a great way to celebrate that milestone.

I did want to start work on it as soon as 2017 began and planned to have it done by June (when the original album was released in 1967). But life intervened. It wasn’t until November when work on this tribute really began. In the following weeks before Christmas on any free time I had I was busy with a sketchbook and tablet/phone (for reference material). I admit that the drawings were done in a hurry, so its not my best quality.

Long before that, when deciding who to put in my version of the cover, I asked a couple of friends for suggestions. It was one of them who came up with the great idea of putting in every person who was a “Fifth Beatle.” This idea probably filled up one third of the cover. The rest were a mix of friend suggestions, links to trivial facts about the album, and personal choice.

An original plan I had was to have other artists to contribute stuff to it and to have portraits of them as the psychedelic Beatles in the centre of it. But this was scrapped when I decided to place the VW Beetle in the centre of it. I did get two artists to make stuff for it. There was a third I wanted to collaborate with, but he was too busy. I did consider using a piece of work he previously made (and posted online) as his contribution. I found a piece that would be a good addition and I asked him (UNLIKE SOME). He declined to have it used and thanked me for asking. 

I did get two unlikely people to make a thing or two for this tribute. One is a student of my drawing classes and another is a friend who only started taking art recently because of my work. Emma drew the Alolan form Exeggutor and Gary drew Alphonse Elric (I asked him to draw him with a cat inside him. He delivered something way better than I imagined.).

It was in the final week before Christmas that the drawing was done and scanned into Photoshop. It was challenge for my old laptop (the same one I have used to post that first post back in 2012 when it was brand new). It took until about 2am on Christmas Eve that the version you saw was complete. I did think about colouring it in, but there was no time for that (and then I thought about the craze for adult colouring books, so I figured that getting you to add the colour would give you a means to explore the piece more closely….)

But for those too lazy to do that, here it is in full Technicolor.


  1. Jeff Wayne
  2. Yanni Alexis Mardas
  3. John Duff Lowe
  4. Norman Chapman
  5. Ivan Vaughan
  6. Jim Keltner
  7. Pete Shotton
  8. Len Garry
  9. Stuart Sutcliffe
  10. Tommy Moore
  11. Derek Taylor
  12. Billy Preston 
  13. Mitch Benn
  14. Jimmie Nichol
  15. Robyn Barry-Carter
  16. Christopher Nigel Walley
  17. Spiderman
  18. Andy White
  19. Mike Oldfield
  20. Pete Best
  21. Colin Hanton
  22. David Bowie
  23. Ken Brown
  24. Adam Savage
  25. Eric Griffiths
  26. George Best
  27. Eric Clapton
  28. Ian Dury
  29. David Frost
  30. George Michael
  31. Spock
  32. Australopithecus afarensis
  33. Lucy Heartfilia
  34. Randall Monroe
  35. Kryten 2X4B 523P
  36. Rod Davis
  37. Marianne Faithfull
  38. Victor Spinetti
  39. Cilla Black
  40. Jimmy Turbuck
  41. Elvis Costello
  42. Chas Newby
  43. Eddie Izzard
  44. Neil Aspinall
  45. Eric Idle
  46. Neil Innes
  47. Marti Pellow
  48. Brian Epstein
  49. Kalus Voormann
  50. Princess Leia
  51. Peter Serafinowicz
  52. Esther Rantzen
  53. Easy Star All-Stars
  54. Easy Star All-Stars
  55. Easy Star All-Stars
  56. Easy Star All-Stars
  57. Easy Star All-Stars
  58. Easy Star All-Stars
  59. Easy Star All-Stars
  60. Easy Star All-Stars
  61. Daffy Duck
  62. Snagglepuss
  63. Mike Gibbins
  64. Pete Ham
  65. Tom Evans
  66. Joey Molland
  67. Tony Sheridan
  68. John Cleese
  69. Graham Chapman
  70. Exeggutor (Alolan form)
  71. Korosensei
  72. David Tennant
  73. Stephen Fry
  74. Hugh Laurie
  75. Alphonse Elric
  76. Little Richard
  77. Peter Sellers
  78. Noel Gallagher
  79. Cookie Monster
  80. Blair Witch
  81. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
  82. Tracey Ullman
  83. Terry Jones
  84. Brendan O'Carroll
  85. Michael Palin
  86. George Martin
  87. Yoko Ono
  88. Neil Harrison
  89. David Catlin-Birch
  90. Jack Lee Elgood
  91. Andre Barreau
  92. Murray the K
  93. Ben Minnotte
  94. Sooty
  95. Freddie Mercury
  96. Rick Sanchez
  97. Haruhi Suzumiya
  98. Les Dawson
  99. Mat
  100. Superman
  101. Kai Hiwatari
  102. Richard Hammond
  103. Jeremy Clarkson
  104. James May
  105. Olaf
  106. Frog
  107. Nemo
  108. ET
  109. Buzz Lightyear
  110. Aleksandr Orlov
  111. Brian Griffin
  112. Jann Haworth
  113. Sargent Pepper
  114. Thomas the Tank Engine

Popular Posts